Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Interesting Birds

Part of the river between Merrickville and Smiths Falls is a bird sanctuary. Terry and I first discovered this thanks to free canoe rides offered into the sanctuary during a summer festival in Merrickville.

Recently, standing next to the canal in Merrickville, Terry noticed a large black and white bird. What could it be? An owl? A vulture?










It seemed to be intently watching the river. (Or was it watching us?!)

Then it disappeared.









A while later, on our drive home, Terry noticed another beautiful large bird... A heron? It had a wide wingspan as it spread its wings, running down the path. Then it stopped and I took this picture.










It reminded me of an egret my son and I saw in Maui last year, enjoying the perch of a hotel chair.

Cousins, perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment