Friday, September 25, 2020

Urban Wildlife ... in Our Neighborhood

I don't recall seeing much wildlife around my home in Alberta or in Kelowna, BC, where I spent my teen years. Maybe I simply didn't pay much attention. A friend of mine in northern BC has deer and black bears wandering into her garden! I'm glad there are no bears in our neighborhood!

I do remember squirrels in our backyard in Kelowna, not as plenteous as the squirrels in our Ottawa neighborhood. Our dog loved chasing them away from our back yard nut tree!

The first time I really noticed urban wildlife was the year we lived in Toronto. Garbage day always brought out the raccoons... I don't recall seeing raccoons in downtown Montreal when I lived there, but I have seen squirrels - larger than Ottawa squirrels - in Montreal parks.

Our Ottawa neighborhood has squirrels, rabbits, skunks, ground hogs, raccoons - and occasional ducks! 

We apparently also have coyotes... Someone recently reported seeing them at 3 am on our street... near the college. That's very close to us!











Recently, on a walk in our neighborhood, I noticed this trusting rabbit... He didn't run away when I approached... Hopefully he won't run into the coyotes!

If I had an outdoor cat, I'd definitely be nervous!




No comments:

Post a Comment