Thursday, October 17, 2019

Rocking Chair "Therapy"

This summer - for the first time - I have noticed an uncomfortable stiffness when I stand up after sitting. It sometimes takes me a few moments to feel I have my balance... So I stand and wait for a few moments before I start to walk...

But once I get going, I'm just fine...

And sometimes my knees hurt... I notice this at night, when I lie down, before falling asleep...

Am I sitting too much? I've been wondering... My favorite easy chair is very comfortable... I sit in it a lot! And I haven't walked outdoors as much this summer as I usually do... 

One day, out of the blue, the thought occurred to me that older people, back in the day, used to sit in rocking chairs...

Would the up and down movement of my feet, moving the rocking chair, help my leg circulation? I wonder if any research has been done... 

Googling the health benefits of rocking chairs - I was shocked to discover that there had actually been studies done on this topic. (I wasn't the first to wonder about it...!)

Their conclusion was that that rocking chairs are therapeutic! Here is just one of the articles that I came across. It's entitled: The Amazing Health Benefits of Rocking Chairs

Convinced it was worth a try, I immediately went out and got a rocking chair!!

Now I'm experimenting...

As I divide my sitting time between the rocking chair and the very comfortable easy chair - I'm paying attention to leg discomfort! Will my balance improve? Will my leg pain go away?!!

(Stay tuned for an update!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment