Sunday, October 6, 2019

Books I Remember Reading... Way Back When!

Walking past a mall bookstore display, I noticed the reprint of  a popular book I had read during my working years...

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People...

I remember learning a lot from the book...














Has it really been 30 years since it first became a best seller?

Off the top of my head, I can't recall what the 7 habits are, but I do remember helping my daughter organize her homework schedule during high school - making sure she gave herself permission to have "free" time as well. The book made me aware that to be healthy and happy one has to enjoy life and have down time.

I'd like to re-read the book. Does it have something to teach me about getting more done in retirement?!





On the same display shelf was another book that looked familiar. The Wealthy Barber wasn't as helpful to me when I read it the first time... Is this a reprint, or further "secrets" of success?!

I recall the first book talking a lot about the power of compound interest...

If I were to write a book about personal finance, I'd focus on the power of paying off debt quickly, especially credit card debt. But even mortgages and car loans.

When we first bought our house, I calculated what the cost of taking the full 25 years to pay off our mortgage. When I realized how much we'd save by paying down 10% of the principal once a year, we made that our goal. Living without debt is freedom indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment