Monday, October 7, 2019

Repairing a Vintage Quilt

A friend recently offered me an old quilt she had...

It was lovely, but needed repairs.

I don't have any desire to mend it, she told me, so if you want it, it, it's yours!

The colors reminded me of the first quilt I ever worked on. It was also worn through in lots of spots. The colors, like this, were pink and white. I appliqued over some worn spots but in some places, I simply removed several rows of  squares - so it ended up smaller.

The quilt hasn't been used much since I fixed it up, but recently my daughter thought it would look nice in her living room, so she now has it. I wonder if she'd like this one, too.


This one also would benefit from removal of  the border, which has worn through in quite a few places. It looks like it was added as an afterthought, to make the quilt larger.








I wonder if I still have some pink fabric to use for binding. If I used the same fabric to mend the squares that have worn through, it wouldn't take much work to make it look almost as good as new!

No comments:

Post a Comment