Friday, August 9, 2019

Visible Mending

I recently borrowed a book from the library that gives tips on mending clothing - visible mending...

Denim is one of the fabrics that is popular to mend. The author calls denim "nostalgic" .... which is part of its beauty.

I have to admit that I have a certain nostalgia for denim garments. I often wear them for years... They are so comfortable!










But now several of my favorite denim (and corduroy) shirts have torn at the elbows...

To mend or to toss?!












That's the question that led me to borrow this book in the first place...

I'm going to have to think about it. It's frustrating to mend a garment, then have it tear in another spot nearby because the fabric is wearing thin.













After examining one of the shirts on my mending pile, I see that I mended it a while back - and now it has torn again...

I think it's time to toss the shirt. (But first I'll look for a replacement!)








If a denim garment is truly irreplaceable - like this jacket pictured in the book, I'll mend it...

But I'm somewhat puzzled. Tears - for me - don't usually come in the front of a garment. It's my sleeves that usually tear - at the elbow - not the front!

 But if I spilled something on a garment that I loved, a patch would be a good way of covering the stain up!

No comments:

Post a Comment