Thursday, November 1, 2018

Diabetes Medication

I have had high blood sugar for at least 15 years. In all that time, I've managed to avoid using Type 2 diabetes medication - until last spring.

Six weeks before my surgery, a surgical nurse told me that I needed to lower my blood sugar - or risk not healing properly.

I immediately asked my doctor to prescribe Metformin - something he had mentioned doing a while back - and I had resisted.

Metformin did lower my daily early morning blood sugar readings, and the healing went well.

But it also had a few unpleasant side effects.

Then try this other medication, my doctor suggested on a recent visit.

So I have the prescription, but I'm waiting a few days to get the medication. I'd like to see how high my glucose readings would be now, without medication. Experience has taught me that when my body is dealing with a medical problem, even a cold, my blood sugar goes up. But now that I've had the hysterectomy and that problem is gone - how high will my readings actually go?

It would be so nice to - again - be able to manage my blood sugar without medication... but not at a risk to my health.

Alas! My fasting blood sugar readings went up again... So I'm on my new pills. Perhaps the time has come to accept the fact that I'll need medication to stay healthy - and instead of resenting the fact, appreciating the fact that these drugs are available!

No comments:

Post a Comment