Thursday, November 8, 2018

Avoiding Knitting Pain: My New Approach

I have been an avid knitter for many, many years. For a few years now, my wrists have become sore whenever I undertake a new knitting project.

Any new (and exciting) project invariably makes me want to keep on knitting, even after my tired wrists begin to hurt.

(I know any non-knitters reading this might laugh at the idea that knitting could be "exciting"! But fellow knitters understand!)






A number of years ago, a friend who is an occupational therapist suggested I wear removable wrist splints, to keep my wrists still - and thus avoid painful twisting movements.

I tried... and I still wear them from time to time.  It works to a degree...

But not being able to move my wrist is not comfortable. I keep wondering if the new hand movements I am forced to make with the splints on will create new muscle pain.


For the past two years, when the pain becomes unbearable - when I wake up at night in pain - I've gone for physiotherapy. My hope was that physio would completely heal my wrists.

Unfortunately I never reached the point of total comfort. Wrists take a long time to heal. There is no quick fix. Equally bothersome is the fact that once I start knitting again, the cycle of irritation and pain begins all over again.

This year I'm trying a new approach: Online I've found some hand-stretching exercises for knitters. I do these daily. I've also bought a book on the ergonomics of hand knitting, hoping to learn what I'm doing wrong - what's irritating my hands - and how to correct it.

This may mean learning to knit holding the needles or yarn in a different way... Which makes me wonder if - after so many years of knitting - I can learn to knit in a different way and still enjoy it. My hands have developed their own "muscle memory": Will I be able to change how I knit?

For now, I've taken a break from knitting as I begin to read the book...

(Expect further updates to follow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment