Friday, March 31, 2017

Enjoying My Orchid Flowers

The orchid I bought last year is slowly beginning to bloom again. Every few days one of the little buds slowly opens up.

The plant is in a west-facing window that gets a few hours of late afternoon sun now in March. The temperature of our house in winter is hardly tropical, so I'm actually surprised to see the flowers come this early in the spring.

I haven't watered the plant since it started blooming about 10 days ago. I'm afraid to risk rotting the flowers. I read somewhere that orchids should be "watered" every few weeks with one ice cube - letting it melt on the soil... That's about two tablespoons of water, I guess.

Before it started to bloom I watered it weekly.





I was going to give it two tablespoons of water a few days ago, but the pot has no drainage holes and the sides of the clay pot feel damp. There must be moisture inside. I think I'll wait until the pot feels dry.

When these flowers stop blooming, I plan to transfer the plant to another pot with holes.


No comments:

Post a Comment