Thursday, March 2, 2017

My Mother's Single Stock

One of the things I have been dealing with is trying to cash in my mother's single stock in the Campbell's Soup Company (USA). The stock isn't worth much, but I need to deal with it.

A Christmas gift from her oldest grandson in 1998, it was a joy to my mother - a gift that kept giving back! Every three or four months, she proudly headed to the bank  to cash in her dividend check for 25 cents!








Taking the stock out of its lovely frame - so that I can have the ownership transferred, I notice that the gift was purchased at a store specializing in selling single stocks.

Businesses like that one still exist in the US - not sure if they do in Canada. In fact, one online store I came across sells single shares from companies like Apple and Disney World - cute gifts!

Wonderful gifts for Americans - but not so much for foreign "investors"! There is a lot of paperwork involved trying to cash it in... I only hope I won't get hassled by the IRS!

No comments:

Post a Comment