Friday, March 10, 2017

Orchid Beginning to Bloom

In her nursing home bedroom window, my mother had an orchid that was always in bloom. It inspired me to buy one for myself.

My orchid is a lot smaller. It was blooming when I bought it, but it hasn't bloomed winter. Recently I noticed half a dozen new buds...















After a few days one broke into bloom...












Then two more...

My question now is - to water the plant or not? I remember someone telling me that moisture in the soil prevents orchids from blooming. I've noticed that - with my African violets - if the soil is moist, the flowers die.







Maybe I'll wait a few days - or even a week before watering the plant. I want to enjoy these new blooms as long as I can, especially now that the world outdoors is flowerless.

I guess I shouldn't complain: The pine trees are still green...

No comments:

Post a Comment