Sunday, March 12, 2017

Another Writer Whose Books I Enjoy... Is Gone

In late October 2014, I headed to Toronto to attend a weekend workshop with a writing "heroine" of mine - a woman who had compiled ancient and modern prayers, readings and hymns into a number of volumes for daily personal prayer throughout the year. Entitled "The Divine Hours," they offer a glimpse into Christian thought throughout the ages. I purchased four volumes of these prayers and have used them for years.

At the conference I would have liked to ask her how she came to compile these prayer books, but she was there to talk about her latest passion: trying to understand how western Christianity is changing... This she termed "emergence" Christianity.

I purchased several of her books, intending to read them later... (They are still sitting on my reading pile, unread!)

At the end of the conference, she announced that she was planning no more speaking engagements, but, instead, was planning to return home and write.

I wonder if a new book is now out? I wondered, as I googled her name: Phyllis Tickle. 

It was then that I discovered that - 11 months after that conference - she died of lung cancer, at the age of 81, eight months after her husband died.

After reading her obituary, I would have another question for her... She had worked as a teacher, writer, and editor, at a time when few women had jobs outside the home. How had she managed to accomplish so much... and raise a family of seven children at the same time?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment