Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Finishing My Acrylic Flower Painting

My first attempt at painting a larger-than-life flower in acrylics was a little disappointing...

After layering on color for several days, the whole painting was dark!

What to do?!


I consulted botanical painting books and pictures... Dark colors, like purple, need light contrasting highlights...











I should probably use a narrow brush, to bring out the fine texture of the daisies. After studying all these samples, I was afraid to start! Too much pressure! Gone was the enthusiasm of my early painting sessions - I was now paralyzed with apprehension...

I reminded myself that perfection is over-rated (a comment that encouraged me a while back). Every painting is a learning experience!



Eventually I mustered enough courage to give it a try! After I was done, my son commented: I liked the darker one better! Hmmm... I think I did too! But the problem with painting is that you can't go back!



No comments:

Post a Comment