Friday, November 6, 2015

Interesting Information about ... Mirrors!

My daughter is taking an introductory optics class - and is learning about more than glasses! Take mirrors, for example!

How big a mirror do you need to see your whole body? she quizzed me after one class... (Hmmm, that's actually something I've wondered when shopping for mirrors in the past!)

How big?! I asked...

Half your height - but you have to place it so that the top is mid-forehead.

(I think this door mirror is placed too low!)












And have you ever wondered why objects are closer than they appear in rear view car mirrors? she asked.

I have...

The mirror is curved so that it captures a wider view. But the objects in the mirror are smaller - to fit in. 

Our brains register "smaller" as "farther away."


So logical!  Why was I never aware of these things?!



No comments:

Post a Comment