Sunday, November 29, 2015

Advent: Preparing for Christmas

I think this is the first Sunday in Advent - when Christians look forward to the coming of the Christ-child. (I gave never been good at remembering dates on the Christian calendar!)


I recently came across a meditation booklet for Advent, taken from the writings of Henri Nouwen, a writer I admire. So on December 1st, I plan to begin my advent "journey" with him - through his writings - to Christmas.












My rationale? Celebrations - like weddings and large birthday parties - don't just happen. They involve planning, shopping and lots of thought.

The wise men who came to see the babe Jesus must have left weeks, if not months, before he was born. They would also have had to prepare for their long journey, not knowing quite where it would take them.

That is the spirit in which I'm beginning my "journey" as well, not knowing where this time of Advent meditation will lead!


No comments:

Post a Comment