Thursday, November 5, 2015

Camino Books: Aids to Walking

In my ongoing attempt to control my high blood sugar readings, I have two goals: One is to take a brisk 40-minute walk every day. The other is to make sure my plate is half full of veggies both for lunch and supper.

I don't know which is easier! Both go against the grain... (which is probably why I have high blood sugar issues in the first place)!

A while back, one of my retiring colleagues mentioned her plans to walk the Camino de Santiago once she had finished working. That was the first I had ever heard of this pilgrimage in Spain that draws thousands of pilgrims annually. They walk for several hundred miles... I was intrigued!

After reading two personal accounts of people who have walked it...

... a Canadian writer who marked her 50th birthday by walking the Camino...














... and my latest Camino adventure, written by a German actor and comedian...

I have concluded that I will probably never undertake this strenuous month-long trek through the Pyrenees.

But reading about the daily trek motivates me to walk a little more every day!

In other words, reading about walking... makes me want to walk! (In much the same way that watching Bugs Bunny cartoons used to motivate one of my sons to eat carrots! I can still see him, as a four-year-old, sitting on the floor, munching on a carrot, happily watching his favorite cartoon rabbit!)

No comments:

Post a Comment