Monday, March 30, 2015

Carry On Luggage Dilemma

When is a airline seat sale not such a great deal?! When you have to pay $25 per checked bag!

We have a dozen travel bags in our basement, some dating back to my parents' traveling days. All work well when we travel by car. But if I take the train, I need one with wheels. I can't lug a suitcase very far.

Air travel poses yet another dilemma. These days airlines charge extra for checked bag - usually $25 each. A seat sale fare from Ottawa to Toronto goes up 50% if I check a suitcase both ways!

Time to see if any of our suitcases qualify as carry-on luggage. These three look about the right size.





My favorite is the green one on the right. The red one, a little heavier, is bulky. The grey one belongs to my son. For me its biggest disadvantage is that the handle is too tight for my hand!

I check outside and inside dimensions - then weigh the bags...

From their outside dimensions, all fit carry-on criteria (more or less), which is 22 cm by 35 cm by 56 cm (or 9 inches by 14 inches by 22 inches). Next I measure the inside dimensions and weigh them.

Which is the best for air travel? It's hard to say!



The green one (my favorite) weighs 9.8 pounds and holds the smallest amount: 1424.5 square inches. The red one, the heaviest at 10.2 pounds, holds the most - a volume of 1825.5 square inches. The grey one, the lightest at 7.8 pounds holds 1495 square inches in volume.

My best choice for air fare would appear to be the grey one... except that my fingers don't fit under the strap!! What about the red one? I'm not sure I could lift it - full - into the luggage compartment above my head!

Maybe I should just bring along a box of detergent and do laundry every day... Or would a box of white powder be suspicious to airline security?! (Traveling by air isn't as easy as it used to be!)

No comments:

Post a Comment