Sunday, February 16, 2014

Typecasting... Ourselves

Actors complain about typecasting - succeeding in one role, only to be limited to acting similar characters ever after: Hey, I can play other roles too! Just give me a chance!

But typecasting doesn't just occur in acting. We all guilty of typecasting... ourselves. Having succeeded (or not) at something early in life, we draw conclusions about what we can (or can't) do - without bothering to give it a try.

The point was brought home to me as I was perusing two drawing books...


















The first, a magnificent collection of botanical drawings and photos, inspired me when I first started to draw plants.














I soon concluded that - as beautiful as the pictures were - the book had little to teach me.














The artist's style was too meticulous, too perfect - very unlike my own.


















I was more drawn to a second drawing book, more similar to my drawing style.














That doesn't look too hard.














I've drawn shoes before, too.

It was a while before I realized that both books were written - and illustrated - by the same artist. 

She doesn't limit herself! Why should I?!

No comments:

Post a Comment