Saturday, February 22, 2014

First Art Exhibit!

I'm not doing botanical painting this term, but I do attend a pottery class in the same building, a visual arts center run by the city.














My neighbor Mary called a few days ago to say the botanical class was having an exhibit and needed more samples. Was I interested in including several of my paintings?














Why not?! So for the first time ever, my work is hanging, framed, in a public place!

One of the problems for me - in botanical art - is that precise names of plants are expected to be on the label. Some have even given the Latin plant name. The beet I painted (above) is an ordinary supermarket beet! (Is there more than one kind of beet?!) I wanted to call it "Beet en Pirouette" as it reminded me of a dancer spinning on its toes - but a fanciful name like that is a no-no in botanical art!














I love this detailed painting in purple that Mary did of an eggplant, turnip and garlic.














Sometime I want to paint a colorful cob of Indian corn, like Carla's.



















Here is a close-up of another of Mary's pieces - a colorful turban squash.














In botanical art, everything has to be precise.... Yes, that's its actual color!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment