Saturday, February 8, 2014

Sculpting My First Clay Head

Years ago my daughter's art teacher had the class draw portraits. When they were done, the instructor commented that - whoever they were trying to draw, first portraits often looks like the artist. Without realizing it, they usually draw themselves!

So when I decided to try my hand at sculpting a head - with no one particular in mind - I half-expected it to end up looking like...me! I started with two pinch-pots stuck together in a potato shape. Then I molded a neck and chin, added ears, formed a mouth, marked indents where the eyes should go...














But when I stuck on the nose, the head took on a life of its own! Now it looked like an older man!


















I garlic-pressed clay for hair, sticking it around a bald head! I added holes for eyes, intending to add eyeballs and eyelids, but that didn't seem necessary. The little holes themselves made piercing eyes.














For a base to support his head, I gave him shoulders dressed in a formal gown with a collar.














There he is - done! (I like to think he doesn't look at all like me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment