Friday, September 2, 2011

Gardening Harvest

Last year I planted a few tomato plants that my neighbor Mary gave me. They didn't do very well.


















Mary has a wonderful garden, with thriving tomatoes growing beside her house... (see above) She often grows them from seed.

This year I bought a flat of tomato seedlings as well as a flat of pepper plants at the market. The vendor had many kinds. I remember telling him that I wanted green peppers, as I don't like hot, spicy ones...

Imagine my surprise when I saw...














...chili peppers growing on the stems. Those were the ones I didn't want!














I have picked them and plan to freeze them, to add to stews next winter.














(I hope they aren't too spicy!)

And my tomato plants? Whenever the tomatoes grow to full size, they disappear, even though they are still green. I suspect the neighborhood raccoons, skunks, groundhogs or squirrels have a hand (paw?) in this...














Glimpses of the squirrels climbing on the garden boxes holding the tomatoes make me suspect them most!

How does Mary escape them raiding her lovely tomatoes? I don't know, but I suspect her apple tree nearby distracts them.














I noticed half-eaten apples strewed all over her lawn - as well as holes in her garden with apples in them - a sign of squirrels planting trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment