Monday, July 4, 2011

What's Blooming Now?

This is my favorite time of year in gardening.














My perennial flower beds are at their peak...















So many flowers are in bloom!














My favorites are the white daisies...














... standing tall in big bunches...














And the tiger lilies...














They bloom so exuberantly - holding their flowers high!














I'm not sure what these lovely yellow flowers are... I think I planted them last year...














Nearby the burgundy-colored Knautia flowers are almost hidden near the large masses of daisies. Eventually the daisies topple over in the wind, so maybe the Knautia need to be moved!














These tea roses were originally small potted plants that my mother received for Christmas gifts. When they dropped their flowers, she asked me to plant them in the garden. She asks about them whenever she visits.














It usually takes a year or two for them to grow a lot of blooms.














These purple flowers may be lavender... I haven't noticed a lavender smell.














This year there are masses of yellow day lilies - I'll have to divide and spread them in the fall.














These low lying geraniums are spreading - and I've moved some to other parts of the yard. These have a mauve hue - I've seen pink ones in other neighbors' yards. (Perhaps we need a neighborhood flower exchange!)














In comparison, I see only one echinacea... I hope it will continue to thrive.














In the back yard, these purple flowers are blooming, but I don't know what they're called!














The clematis, visible through the living room window, creates a bright spot at the edge of our back deck.


















I'm not sure whether these are flowers or weeds... or what they are called. They're all over the yard.

A perennial garden is a mixed joy... I love it because I never need to plant flowers. Year by year, I am surprised by what comes up.

But the flowers don't last as long as annuals do. Instead of lasting all summer, they bloom and die - with new kinds cycling in (and out)...

I only wish they would last a little longer! I enjoy them fleetingly - and then they're gone for another year!

No comments:

Post a Comment