Saturday, July 9, 2011

Coax, Reprove, Encourage

Teaching and learning are not the same thing. A teacher can prepare a wonderful lesson - and go through it in front of class... But in the end, it is possible for the students to have learned nothing.

Why?

Perhaps the subject matter is too difficult for the class - or perhaps the students have no prior knowledge or experience to relate the new information to. (Or perhaps they're simply not paying attention!)

Which is why, I used to look at students' faces, to see if they were grasping what I was trying to say... And, of course, I would - from time to time - ask if there were any questions.

But both these methods can fail, too! I remember "teaching" a Shakespearean play to a grade 10 class - right after lunch on a hot day. I was impressed that even my least interested student was staring at me. I must be getting through, even to him, I remember thinking. Only when I took a few steps to my left - and his eyes did not follow me, but continued to stare at the spot where I had been, did I realize that he was in a world of his own... So much for my good teaching!

And what about asking: Are there any questions? How often are we reluctant to ask a question, not wanting to appear stupid in front of our peers? It's not a foolproof method, either.

So I find it interesting that Benedict (who lived 1500 years ago) didn't list lecturing (or preaching) as a monastic teaching method, but rather coaxing, reproving, and encouraging. And that's not all: Leaders must try to "accommodate and adapt themselves to each one's character and intelligence."

All these years later, I can't find any wiser advice for teachers (or priests or parents) - or any, in fact, who find themselves in the position of guiding and helping others.

No comments:

Post a Comment