Friday, July 8, 2011

Life is ... well, different...

People everywhere assume that THEIR life is NORMAL... compared to everyone else's!

When my mother visited me in Israel and I took her shopping, she was in for a few surprises.

I picked up a loaf of (unwrapped) fresh bread and simply dropped it into my shopping bag (as I always did - as everyone always did...) but my mother was aghast!

Wrap it in something, she said, thinking of the plastic bags bread came in in Canada...

Do you have anything to wrap this in? I asked the vendor.

He handed me a sheet of day-old newspaper... kept on hand to wrap fresh fish... My mother was unimpressed!

Terry had a similar reaction - "I wouldn't eat that food!" - when he saw this You Tube clip of a Bangkok vegetable market located near a train track! (Personally, I have no qualms: The veggies look fresh and delicious! But I'd be wary of shopping with small children!)

No comments:

Post a Comment