Friday, July 22, 2011

Easy CREPE Recipe

Crepes are thin, rolled-up pan cakes - one of my favorite ways of eating eggs. For some reason, I especially enjoy crepes in the summer. They provide a filling meal yet don't heat up the kitchen. Cottage cheese and fresh fruit - two of my favorite summer foods - are easy crepe fillings.














Here's how I make crepes for one person
. (Double the recipe for 2 or 3 servings.) Leftover batter can be stored in the refrigerator and fried up later. But I often fry them up and I eat the leftovers cold or warmed up in the microwave.

Here how I make them:













  • Beat two eggs lightly with a fork.












  • Add half a cup (approximately 125 mL) of BOTH flour and milk.












  • Mix well - then let stand for 10 or 15 minutes, to blend the ingredients.
  • Heat a frying pan. When it is hot, add a little olive oil or butter and spread it around.












  • Pour enough batter onto the hot, greased pan to lightly cover the bottom. Spread the batter by turning the pan at an angle so that the whole frying pan bottom is covered.












  • Let it cook until the top is dry. Flip the crepe over to lightly brown the other side.
  • Put on a plate and fill.













I enjoy cottage cheese (with fresh fruit) or simply sprinkle them with sugar and roll them up.














When I was growing up, we called these "roll-up pan cakes." They were a childhood favorite - and I still love them!

I don't usually make them with savory fillings, but I recently had one filled with smoked salmon, grated cheese and pesto sauce at a restaurant brunch. It was delicious!

Crepes - like bread - are very flexible. They can have many different kinds of fillings, sweet or savory. They also make an elegant dessert with brandy poured over them - and served aflame (in a fire-proof pan!)

I should also add that I have taken to using different types of flour in crepes. My mother always made them with white flour, but the ones pictured above (in the recipe) are made using quinoa flour. I've made them with whole wheat flour and spelt flour as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment