Thursday, July 28, 2011

We Still Need (Gardening) Books!

My most frequently read blog - according to Blogger Stats - is entitled What to Do With Indoor Trees? I posted it on February 25, 2011, and it has outranked all others. So I assume that indoor trees are a common problem.


















This past week, one reader asked about the name of the tree pictured in the post - the one that is almost touching the ceiling in my upstairs hall.

I didn't know...














After searching fruitlessly online, I turned to my gardening books. This Houseplant Encyclopedia gave me the information I was looking for: The plant is called a Dracaena Marginata (pronounced "drah-SEE-ah").














(Now that I know its name, I can find it online!)

The book also adds that they can be propagated from stem cuttings - so perhaps that is what I should do when the top leaves touch the ceiling... Cut it back, putting the stem into a pot of soil... Perhaps the same pot the parent plant is in. (I think I'll give that a try.)

So I see that... although there is a lot of information online, I still do need my gardening books!

No comments:

Post a Comment