Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Law of Love

One of the most challenging aspects of Christianity (for me) is the Christian LAW - not SUGGESTION - to LOVE [even] OUR ENEMIES...

(I have a hard time relating to the word "enemies": In the course of a lifetime, not many people fall into that category...)

But if I am to love my enemies, how much more so all the others who mildly annoy me...!

I have struggled for many years with forgiving, not my enemies, but some near to me who have hurt me, especially in my childhood years. Many of the grudges re-surfaced in later life, as I reflected on the source of some deep-rooted sadness.

There has been a digging up of soil, so to speak, and a confrontation with many of my hidden, angers... a pulling up of weeds... And at times I had to pray for strength to let them go...

Forgiving is hard because it minimizes the wrong, implying that it was okay to do something that wasn't! a friend once commented, confiding that there were some things she simply couldn't forgive.

I eventually forgave, not minimizing the wrong, but simply because I had to: "Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us..." (The Lord's Prayer) is basic to Christian faith.

Besides, I didn't want to live with the burden of anger any longer. Forgiving - and freeing myself from anger - was a serious business!

So today, as I happen upon words that Paul wrote to the Church in Rome, I am taken aback. Writing about our attitudes when we use our spiritual gifts, I come across the words: If a person's gift is "showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully."

Now whose gift is showing mercy? I wonder... Unless it's the gift all of us use... when we forgive?

Am I called to forgive cheerfully? Is that part of the law of love?! Not with furrowed brow - but with a song and a dance of joy?!

(Now that is a new challenge to ponder!)

No comments:

Post a Comment