Monday, May 30, 2011

CHOOSING to BE...

I often stop reading a book when I arrive at an idea I need to think about for a while...














So when I recently picked up Debbie Macomber's book, Knit Together - and found where I had left off, I knew why I had stopped reading. I needed to think about her words...

Debbie, a successful novelist who overcame dyslexia, a reading and writing disability, as well as disparaging comments from teachers, writes:

"My own personal formula for success [is] something I like to call the "Five Be's":

1. BE PROUD
Take pride in who and what you are because you are special in God's eyes... Embrace the blessings God has given you, and be ready to give something back.

2. BE PERSISTENT
... it's the people who have the fortitude to keep trying even in the face of adversity who eventually find success.

3. BE BOLD
Dare to dream! ...[God] wants us to stand tall, walk firmly, and be excited about reaching the goals He has placed in our hearts.

4. BE GRATEFUL
Appreciate the little things in life. Appreciate the chance to dream and the encouragement you receive... Appreciate the opportunity to learn from your mistakes."

5. BE YOURSELF

She then advises: "Don't be afraid of finding and pursuing success..."

(And as I close the book again, tucking in my bookmark, I wonder if "success" could here be defined as "excellence in being who you are"...)

No comments:

Post a Comment