Friday, October 22, 2010

Yikes! Sixteen Squares?!














When I checked my mystery afghan project this week, I was shocked to discover that my week's task is to crochet sixteen mitered squares! (That's the same number I've crocheted over the past four weeks!) It will be a challenge!

I've never done this week's pattern before. It's called a mitered square. The instructions include a very helpful diagram. The square is begun by crocheting two of its sides in one long piece, then every row eliminating two stitches in the middle. In the end, all but one last stitch will have been eliminated and - surprise! - a square will have been created.

I am using a thinner yarn than the pattern calls for - so I need to use more stitches... But how many? To solve the problem, I decide to do the mitered square backwards, starting with one stitch and increasing by two in the middle at each row. That way I can also use up small bits of yarn I have lying around (from a sweater I made a few years ago). I can also make the square as large as I want.

After I use all the scraps up - and discover how many stitches are in two sides of an 8 inch square, I hope to make some the correct (opposite) way!














So far I've completed one square and am working on six more... But the biggest challenge will be completing all 16 by next Wednesday when the following week's mystery clue is revealed!

2 comments:

  1. One of my favourite knitted dishcloth patterns is a mitered pattern much like you did yours in crochet. You start off with 3 stitches, and every other row you increase one on either side of the middle stitch - good way to use up leftover yarn, or make cloths of various sizes for whatever purpose. I like the idea of the same thing in crochet - both what the pattern calls for and your initial way of doing it. Will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen those knitted dishcloths and admired their tidy look. I'll have to try KNITTING a mitered square once I finish this crocheted afghan challenge. I imagine a lovely afghan could be made with lots of mitered squares joined together.

    ReplyDelete