Monday, October 18, 2010

Enriched Muffins














I often bake with whole wheat and spelt flour - because they're healthier for type 2 diabetics...

But they do change the texture and flavor of baked goods! I sometimes add cinnamon to mask that strong (healthy?!) whole wheat taste... But an annoying feature of spelt flour is that baked goods don't hold together as well - so they often crumble when taken out of the pan...

I wanted to make some nice muffins to share with a friend... and I didn't want them to fall apart...

So I tried something else... I "enriched" the (unbleached) white flour by adding one tablespoon each of psyllium (for fiber), soy flour (for protein) and wheat germ (for whatever healthy goodness that puts back into the flour) at the bottom of each cup of flour - then filled the cup with unbleached white flour...

Then I made my favorite muffins...














And they held together - and tasted great too!

(I should add that I didn't invent this strategy - it was passed on by a dietitian at a course on healthy eating for type 2 diabetics.)

No comments:

Post a Comment