Thursday, October 21, 2010

Unwanted Gardening "Helpers"

I enjoy gardening... but - who am I fooling? I'm not really in control...

I work and plan, but little neighborhood "helpers" have plans of their own...

Resident skunks - whom I rarely see, wander around at night, tearing up strips of lawn in search of grubs to eat...














(Can you see the spots of black in the grass?!) They seem to leave the flower beds alone... which is one of the reasons I've been planting more flowers.

But the flower beds are the favorites haunts of the squirrels - who spend their days planting seeds - which become little trees! Like this little sumac I just discovered in my flower bed! (Actually I discovered two!)














(Sumacs are so pretty in the fall... maybe I should let this one grow!)














I'm torn: I love to live in harmony with nature - but if I don't fight back (reseeding the grass, pulling out the trees) our yard would soon become a forest!


No comments:

Post a Comment