Thursday, May 21, 2020

Life is a constant change...

Occasionally my daughter and I chat via FaceTime as we both have our morning coffee. Last year we were able to visit in person and go out to eat. This picture was taken at an outdoor Bavarian-style cafe.

Recently she and I were discussing the importance of resiliency during these pandemic times...

There are times I don't feel that resilient, I confessed. I'm impatient to travel again. I want to come and visit you in Guelph - and see Ivy and Jericho in Toronto.

When I think of resiliency, I think of Grandma, my daughter commented. She adapted well to so many changes.


True - she talked more about the future than the past. She never seemed to look back... Or if she did, she rarely talked about it... Rarely talked about her teaching days, my childhood, or even about life with my father. Just once - in the nursing home - she  said: I don't think Dad would have been happy here. He would have found it hard to accept help...

True... But he might have surprised us, just as she did. I never expected her to adapt as easily as she did to everything life brought  her way.

When she finally did need all the care that a nursing home could offer, it took her a while to adjust.

She was, by nature, very independent.

But when she did, whenever visitors came, she'd say: This is a good place to be if you need help.

Another comment she often made was: Life is a constant change. She didn't expect it to be any other way. Maybe recognizing that fact is the key to resiliency.

No comments:

Post a Comment