Saturday, May 23, 2020

Kindly Squirrel?!

We live in a neighborhood with lots of small animals - rabbits, skunks, squirrels, chipmunks - as well as larger ones, like ground hogs, raccoons and coyotes...

I've started taking walks with a walking stick just in case I encounter the coyotes. I've never seen them, but Rob, a neighbor a few doors down, took a picture of them in his back yard. Another picture of two coyotes walking down a neighboring street was posted online by our community association, so they have been seen by a number of people.

Terry is a fan of the rabbits - and my favorite outdoor animals are the squirrels. They always look so cheerful as they Jump from branch to branch on trees and hedges! That said, I'm glad we've never had a problem with them trying to build a nest in our house - unlike my daughter, who had squirrels living in the walls of an old apartment building she lived in in Toronto.

I personally have had very few negative experiences with squirrels. Once, when our children were young, I put a birthday cake outdoors on the deck to cool before icing it. I stepped away for a minute, assuming that the steam rising from the cake would deter a squirrel from approaching. A few minutes later, I returned - to find a squirrel sitting in the still-steaming cake, eating it as quickly as he could! I never left food outdoors unattended after that!

But I have had several experiences when (I think) squirrels have, in fact given me food... (Terry - who hates squirrels - would deny that they are capable of this much intelligence...)

Once, a few years ago, I put some stale cookies in our outdoor compost heap - only to find them returned to our window sill... (I remember writing a blog post about this, posting pictures of the cookies on the ledge.) Was a squirrel thinking: People, these belong to you...?

A few days ago, I found another "gift" from a squirrel - a gummy candy propped up against  the screen of our back door... I have no idea where the gummy came from but I could imagine the squirrel again thinking: This is human food... Here, it's for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment