Thursday, March 12, 2020

Another Winter Visit to Almonte

Last weekend, Terry and I drove to Almonte for a winter's walk...

The day was sunny - and I was itching to get out!

We discussed various towns around us and decided to go to Almonte again because there are three walking paths that circle around the old historic downtown, ...bringing us back to where we parked.





One goes around the river near the dam...












A second (full of snow on this visit) is a bike trail in summer and a skidoo trail in winter...

Train tracks used to go over this bridge and down a trail into the country. We have never gone farther. Maybe once spring arrives.







While walking on the skidoo trail, I was so surprised to see icy "lily pads" that I only took pictures looking down!










All the trails skirts the hydroelectric dam that is a focal point any time of the year...











I wonder how old the dam is.











I always find this house on a cliff overlooking the water so interesting...










It's a beautiful walk any time of the year - though the paths are not cleared in winter - and signs remind us that we are walking at our own risk.


No comments:

Post a Comment