Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Rediscovering Old Souvenirs: Armenian Art

When I was a university student living in Jerusalem, I'd occasionally treat myself to a souvenir mug or tile made by local Armenian artisans...

I particularly love the blues in their traditional art. This tile depicts the tree of life...











Armenians were invited to move to Jerusalem to make decorative tiles for the two mosques in the old city.

Over time, I purchased several tiles and mugs...













Shortly after I retired, I returned to Jerusalem with my youngest son. Wanting to buy a few more tiles, I discovered that most were now made using computer generated art...








I bought two...












Going through kitchen cupboards recently, I found one of the mugs I'd bought as a student. I've started to use it again - now (having done pottery for a while) I see it in a slightly different way...

The mugs have a simple shape - and are about the same thickness as the tiles...

I wonder if I could try to replicate the painting on it... It may also have symbolic meaning. I wonder what it is...




No comments:

Post a Comment