Sunday, January 5, 2020

Reading Goal for 2019

I have the bad habit of starting to read a book - but not finishing it... I fully intend to finish it... Maybe I even read a few pages from time to time... But many sit on my bedside table - or near my reading chair - for months, if not years...

Is this pile of unfinished books discouraging me? I wondered... Should I shrink it by setting myself a goal of completing one previously-started book a month...?

Maybe I should even make myself finish a book before allowing myself to start a new one?! 

(Now that would be hard... I love to start, but have a hard time motivating myself to finish!)



So last January I set myself a reading goal... of trying to finish at least one previously-started books a month. Here is the what happened over the course of the year...

In January I finished reading Phyllis Tickle's book, The Shaping of a Life - a book I started years ago! I also read 2 books on organizing by Marie Kondo. famous for her book entitled, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. 

That started me on an organizing spree - which I don't regret!


In February, I went back to Humility Rules, a book I had started a few months before. Didn't finish it! But I did finish a library book entitled, In the Shelter.

After returning to pottery, from February to April, my reading petered off!

In summer, I discovered the books of the young writer, Lauren Winner,  who is about my daughter's age. I read two.

I can't remember getting into any other books or finishing any I previously started.

I know I'm better at starting than finishing projects - books included. It takes a lot for me to actually finish a book.

Like quilting and knitting projects, I often put them aside about half way through... That's probably just the way I am! 

No comments:

Post a Comment