Friday, January 31, 2020

Getting Used to Vegetarian Eating

I've been eating vegetarian for a little over three months now. The switch to non-meat was made easier by the fact that I lived with a vegetarian for many years. My daughter became vegetarian in her early teens - so, over the years, I've became familiar with how vegetarians eat.

At the beginning of my transition, I stocked up on a lot of frozen vegetarian meals, and I still keep some in the freezer.










But I've also started making more easy vegetarian dishes for myself, like this omelette that has onion, mushrooms, spinach and sweet potato in it. This would be my main course, with cherry tomatoes on the side. I often eat hummus and a whole avocado together with a salad or the hearty vegetarian soup I've been making for years. Planning and preparing food gets easier as time goes on. My goal, at the moment, is eat vegetarian for a year - and see if my type 2 diabetes symptoms improve. If  they do, I'll probably continue, but if not, I'm really not sure what I'll do. I've been on two diabetes medications and both have had negative side effects that seriously affected my quality of life. I'm currently not taking any diabetes medication, an experiment my doctor is aware of.

My daily fasting blood sugar readings haven't gone down significantly here at home. They did drop when I was visiting my son and his family, playing with my three-year-old granddaughter during the day. So keeping active is important. But I have lost a few pounds, so my food experiment hasn't been a total failure!


No comments:

Post a Comment