Saturday, September 30, 2017

Visiting Hay Lakes, My Old Home Town

My first home town was a quiet village of 300 inhabitants thirty miles east of Edmonton.

On my last trip to Alberta, my cousin Elizabeth drove me back for a quick visit. I don't know anyone who lives there anymore.









But I remember the church we attended. It has been renovated with a new front entry since we lived there. My brother and I were both baptized here.










My first home was across the street. (It, too, has been renovated.)

It only had two or three rooms when my parents lived there - and probably no indoor plumbing.









A few years later, we moved to an apartment on the top floor of a garage my father owned. The garage burned down a few years after we moved away, but nothing has been built in its place... I wonder if they fear finding toxins, like oil, in the soil.

I'm standing on an old cement slab - a part of the original garage floor - with my aunt Evelyn (my mother's youngest sister). She remembers coming to visit and staying with us above the garage when she was thirteen years old.

The two-room school where my mother taught is no longer there.
The only buildings that I remember that remain the same are an insurance office that hasn't been used in years It looked the same when I was last here five years ago.


Also a boarded-up dairy, the Hay Lakes Creamery, where I remember watching workers separate the cream from the milk. I don't know if they ever made cheese or ice cream...




Also an old farm at the edge of town, where I used  to play with a little girl about my age.

Going back brings back childhood memories... I'm glad not everything I knew is gone!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blog on Hay Lakes, as it is my home town. I traced Dicks Repair Shop in the local history book and found some of your family history there. The old creamery is still standing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to hear updates. For me, as a child, Hay Lakes was a wonderful, interesting place to live. Lots of positive memories! Of course, I never had to pump buckets of drinking, bath and laundry water and lug them upstairs to our apartment - and take the dirty water down again. It must have been a lot harder for my parents.

    ReplyDelete