Thursday, September 28, 2017

The Birthday Celebration I Didn't Want to Miss!

A few weeks ago, we received an invitation to a 95th birthday party in Edmonton.

It was a celebration I didn't want to miss!

My aunt Zilla - wife of my mother's older brother (who died a few years ago) - was turning 95!

We delayed planning the party, because Mom at first didn't want one, her daughter told me. But once I decided to do it and showed her the invitation, she changed her mind... She was all in!



I really wanted to be there... Terry (who hates flying) decided to stay home. My brother wanted to be there, but was unable to come...

You were the flower girl at my wedding, she reminded me several times when I arrived... And your brother Ted was a baby only a few months old!

(Here we are exiting the Edmonton church in 1950.)







Over the years, our families spent many vacations together... This picture was taken in our home in Red Deer in early 1959, a few months before we moved to Kelowna. Zilla is holding David, their younger son. My Dad is playing one of his home movies...
I'm so glad I went! It was a wonderful gathering of family members I hadn't seen in years. All my mother's remaining siblings came...

Here I am with two of my mother's brothers, both of whom have serious health issues - though you would never know, from all the smiles and laughter.





My mother's large extended family was an important part of my life during my growing up years, so it was special to see them all again...











Lots of pictures were taken...










Lots of smiles and laughter!

Here is the birthday girl, still strong in mind and body, though (to her dismay) she has to walk slowly due to a heart condition.









Living across the country, as I do, I was thrilled to see all my mother's siblings and their spouses...











Thanks to Zilla's family for bringing us all together again...

As someone commented: When you're this far along in life, you need to celebrate with a big birthday party every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment