Monday, August 14, 2017

Painful Decluttering...

For me, getting rid of things takes as much time and effort as buying them in the first place!

Raised by parents who grew up in the 1920's and 1930's - in families where there wasn't even enough food to go around, my parents modeled throwing out very little: Waste not, want not, you know!

Then, in my working days, a time when technology changed so frequently that computers a few years old were considered obsolete, I've had to learn to throw out computers and printers that still work, floppy disks, hard floppy disks, cassette tapes...

It's not easy!

(Was it planned obsolescence? Or did we really need to replace things that quickly?!)







Knowing that garbage dumps keep growing doesn't makes it any easier...

So it's hard, but this summer finds me going through things, trying to get rid of stuff I no longer need.







(Fortunately, some of it can be recycled!)

My own kids - who grew up in our throw-away age - of course don't understand why decluttering is such a struggle for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment