Sunday, August 20, 2017

Decreasing Stress

This summer, I've been listening to audio books while working on "mindless" projects, like knitting and organizing parts of the house.

I'm currently listening to a library copy of Joyce Meyer's book, Over Load, a Christian self-help book about dealing with stress.

Will this book have anything to teach me? I wondered. My life is no longer as stressful as it once was. After all, I can choose what I want and don't want to do, every day now that I'm retired.






But I have picked up a few tips. Here are a few that I jotted down:

1. Be thankful and say so - it will change the atmosphere we live in - and increase our joy.

2. Be a person who encourages others.

3. Rather than rehearse our problems (or our aches and pains), remember the problems we've come through - and count our blessings. Think and talk about God's goodness.

4. Don't compare ourselves to others. Other people's gifts are a benefit to us and the world, but we can only enjoy them if we aren't jealous.

5. Worry decreases when we speak and hear hope-filled words.

As I listen to the book, I am reminded of my mother's positive attitude, even during the last few years of her life.

This is a good place to be when you need help, she'd say of the nursing home where she lived. The people are kind, the food is good. They look after us very well.

I knew they did - but her words helped me accept her declining health: I knew she was happy.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Most mornings, I have to see what Marlene has been doing. I enjoy reading your posts, and I just had to respond this morning. I hope you're having a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. I am having a wonderful summer. The weather has been great!

      Delete