Saturday, August 5, 2017

Carp Farmers' Market ... Plus Horses!

Last Saturday Terry and I arrived at the Carp Farmers' Market to discover that a major horse show was on that weekend.

The Carp Fairgrounds - near the market - was full of trailers and horses being prepped for the show.











I wandered around, admiring the beautiful animals.











It reminded me that, as a child, I had wanted a horse of my own. My parents didn't share my enthusiasm for horses - though I now realize that they must have both been experienced horse people.

My father attributed the varicose veins in his legs to the years he had spent his days walking behind a horse-drawn plow, even in cold weather. He recalled how his leg muscles had cramped painfully.



My mother also must have known how to handle horses.












She'd ridden a horse to the high school she attended, as it was farther away than the neighborhood one-room country school.

I wonder if her horse spent the day, like these horses, waiting patiently under a tree.








The market was busy...













I noticed that our local walking club -  the Nepean Nomads - had organized 5 and 10 kilometer walks around the village of Carp. Their sign-in desk was here in the market - near the long line-up for the bacon-in-a-bun stand.

My daughter and I used to do their 10-K walks when she was in high school.

A little nostalgia, there, too.




Admired the lovely flowers - which we don't need... Picked up some pastry (which we probably also don't need!)

Terry purchased a case of maple syrup - his year's supply. Then we headed home.

Carp Farmers' Market - always a fun place to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment