Tuesday, July 12, 2016

New Uke

I wasn't playing my green ukulele much over the winter, so I loaned it to my daughter. But now that summer is here, I've had the urge to play it again! What to do?!

I decided to buy another smaller, less expensive one online - to see how it would compare to the other one. One advantage is that it would be more portable, being smaller.

When it arrived in the mail, I had to tune it myself. (The one I got in the store was already tuned when I got it.)

I was disappointed to find that it had plastic strings. (My other ukulele has metal ones.) Would the plastic - "nylon" - ones be easy to tune? Would they hold their tune long? Even scarier, would they snap if I pulled them too tight?!

The first evening was one of gradually testing their flexibility. Eventually I managed to tune it, guided by a battery operated tuner.

Then I got out some of the music I used to play - and had fun! I'll definitely have to get back to playing a bit every day!

A few days later, it's out of tune again- and I can't seem to fix it...

(Time to go shopping for some better strings?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment