Monday, July 11, 2016

Meeting Favorite Writers

When I find an author I enjoy, I try to read all the books that he or she has written - preferably in chronological order. Favorite authors over the years have included Catherine Marshall, Richard Foster, Malcolm Muggeridge, Laurie Beth Jones, Anne Lamott, Esther de Waal, and Kathleen Norris.

Sometimes I am fortunate enough to meet these favorite authors or hear them speak. I met Esther de Waal at a Canterbury, England conference in 2013 and Kathleen Norris at a workshop in Toronto around the same time. I heard Malcolm Muggeridge speak in Toronto when I lived there in the 1970s. I never met Catherine Marshall, whose books meant a lot to me, but I did meet one of her good friends, writer Elizabeth Sherrillwhose books have also been an important part of my life.


(I just googled Anne Lamott - and discovered that she had a speaking engagement in Toronto two months ago. Wish I had known!)

In the past year, I have discovered the books of Barbara Brown Taylor - who is now one of my favorite authors. I've collected quite a few of her books and am making my way through them all. I recently discovered that she is one of the weekly chaplains scheduled to speak at the Chautauqua Institute this year, in Chautauqua, NY. It's a day's drive away... Not that far. So I'm hoping Terry will agree to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment