Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Looking Forward...

This spring I'm planning to take a 5-day cruise down the Rideau Canal from Ottawa to Kingston. The trip involves going through 47 locks.

In preparation, I've been reading about the construction of the canal, almost 200 years ago (1826-32). It's amazing that this engineering feat was finished so quickly. I've also watched a video about the cruise.

I've been learning new things: Didn't know that, by slowing the flow of the rivers, the canal created ideal conditions for bass to live. Didn't know that ever since the canal was built, bass fishing has been a canal tourist industry...

I also didn't realize that the thousands of workers who came from Britain to work on the canal often brought their families along... their wives and children. A thousand workers died (in those five years of canal construction). Most died of malaria. But many of their descendants stayed and still live in the area today. Didn't realize that malaria existed in our cold climate.

Must remember to take along mosquito repellent! I haven't heard of malaria in Canada in recent years. But spring is a bad time for mosquitoes, even today.

No comments:

Post a Comment