Saturday, April 23, 2016

Climbing the CN Tower For a Good Cause

A few months ago one of my sons was inspired by an unusual fundraising event: I've signed up to climb the CN Tower, he informed us. I wasn't sure how tall it was, but I knew the tower was Canada's tallest structure. I later found out that the climb was 144 floors from the base to the observation deck.

Do you really think you can do it? I asked.

I've started training by walking up the stairs at work, he said.

How many floors are there in your building? I asked.

Thirty. I've started doing it twice, taking the elevator down, then walking up again, he said. My goal is to do it five times in a row... 150 floors.


The weekend of the climb, Terry and I headed to Toronto to cheer him on...

Looking at the tower, as we approached it, I must admit I had my doubts... Could anyone really walk up to the top?!













So I was amazed to see how many had decided to participate!

A steady stream was heading to the stairwell...

(Is every fit person in Toronto doing the climb?! I wondered.)






We recognized some later exiting the elevator ... from the observation deck on the 144th floor!





Later we joined our son as he stood in line with dozens of others, waiting to pick up a T-shirt that had their personal climb time written on it.

We were amazed to see how many had not only tried - but succeeded!








Our son's goal had been to do it in 30-40 minutes, but he ended up finishing his climb in just under 20.

We were amazed that so many people would try... and actually succeed!



No comments:

Post a Comment