Friday, April 29, 2016

Interesting Discoveries in Tweed

On our frequent trips to Toronto to visit our children, Terry and I avoid highway driving as much as possible, preferring, instead, to take roads through small towns.


On one recent trip, we stopped in a town called Tweed.  They are famous locally for their painted fire hydrants. A few years ago, I also wrote a blog post about a spring flood that inundated their town park.

This year we discovered a local coffee shop, "By the Way Cafe."

The coffee and fresh-baked scones were great! (We'll be back!)









The decorations on the wall were cute, too! (I could identify with this one: Instant human Just add coffee... That's me!)


















Most of the customers were greeted on a first-name basis. (We even stopped to chat with the owners as we were leaving.)















The second interesting discovery I made was that a little dog that came into the cafe with its owner - and was also greeted on a first-name basis - is actually a working dog. The owner, a diabetic,  uses the dog to tell him when his blood sugar levels are too low. The dog warns him, especially at night when he's asleep...

(Here he is, sitting on the owner's RV...)

I didn't know dogs could be trained to sense blood sugar levels, but apparently they can! (And to think that I prick myself with a needle daily! Maybe I should simply get a diabetic alert dog!)


No comments:

Post a Comment