Thursday, March 10, 2016

Two Knitting Tips

I learned two interesting knitting tips from Elizabeth Zimmermann's recorded classes on DVD...

The first is never to knit when you are angry or stressed - you will make your knitting tighter... If you must knit, have a piece of knitting set aside that you work on only when angry or stressed!













The second tip is to wash any yarn that you have taken apart before knitting it up again. At least dampen it and let it dry. (I remember my my mother doing that.) Here I've just dampened the wool I took apart when redoing a hat recently...

The rationale - knitting stretches the wool. If the yarn hasn't been pre-washed, the part that is knit twice will pull back more than the rest, making the garment uneven.

I don't use wool yarn very often... I wonder if this tip applies to synthetic yarn as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment