Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Noticing Nature

Doing art (especially painting and pottery) has made me more observant of the world around me.

After taking a few painting courses, whenever I go anywhere, I notice the shading of trees and the colors of the sky.

(What did I notice before taking art classes? I don't remember!)

Overlooking the St. Lawrence River, at Montebello, taking this picture, I remember thinking: How would I paint the sky - and the ripples in the water, especially where the trees reflect in it? 

Reflections and mirror images in water make such interesting pictures!






These days, I'm also photographing squirrels, often through the window!

I want to make some clay squirrels in movement in pottery class. But they're so fast, it's hard to get a clear picture!







By the time I get my camera ready, they often disappear! At most, I get a picture of one sitting.










I'd like to take a picture of a squirrel jumping, the moment it lands on two front legs, its back legs still in the air... But so far no luck!

But then, it might not work in clay. The problem - with pottery statues anything, including squirrels in movement, is making sure they are balanced enough to stand without tipping over!




No comments:

Post a Comment