Monday, March 21, 2016

Living Without a Land Line

A friend recently informed Terry that their family was switching from a house phone (a land line) to three cell phones - one for each member of the family. From now on, they would all be contacted only by their individual cell phone numbers.

At first glance, it seems an efficient way to go.

I'm sure it's the way of the future, I commented to Terry.

A few days later, I realized the limitations of not having a family home phone number... 

I was trying to contact the family of someone I know who had been hospitalized. The only number I had was her cell phone. Would anyone answer it if I called?

Would she have it in the hospital with her? (Did they even allow cell phones in hospital rooms?)

I tried the number. To my surprise, my friend answered. Her cell phone had been next to her hospital bed. But had she been any sicker and unable to answer the phone, I wouldn't have had any way of contacting her - or any family member if everyone's cell phone number is different...

To complicate matters, cell phone numbers aren't listed in the telephone directory!

No comments:

Post a Comment